We are committed to ensuring our online products and services are accessible to everyone, including those who wish to customise their computer or other device. We also try to ensure that it is compatible with any browser, including access technologies. Providing an accessible website has a positive effect on general usability and we believe that websites that are accessible and usable benefit everyone.
We will continue to review, test and modify our website and any future releases of the site, for web accessibility issues and aim to ensure that this is an ongoing commitment.
Web accessibility standards
Our website complies with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 for web documentation, tools and user interfaces.
For full details of the WCAG 2.0 guidelines, please see www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20.
Changing display properties
By changing the 'resolution' setting you can make text and images look either larger or smaller. This website is designed to be viewed at different resolutions without affecting your use of the website. Please refer to your device manual for more information on how to change screen displays, including colours.
How we make this website accessible
WCAG 2.0 states that websites should be:
3. Understandable; and
Below is a non-exhaustive list of examples of how we believe we meet those standards.
1. Our website is Perceivable:
- All non-text content has text based alternatives; the videos are sample videos with descriptions, and the images have text alternatives. Non-text content that is presented to the user has a text alternative that serves the equivalent purpose. There is no time-based media.
- Captions are provided for Show Me videos.
- Users can control contrast, text size, audio and display settings.
- All pages use headings
- Pages and images on this website are optimised to load quickly and smoothly
- Consistent navigation and page layouts are used
- We have submit buttons on all forms
- Form elements such as the search box have text labels. Web pages are readable without requiring style sheets.
- Instructions provided in generated content for understanding and operating content do not rely solely on sensory characteristics of components such as shape, size, visual location, orientation, or sound. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
- Colour is not used as the only visual means of conveying information, indicating an action, prompting a response, or distinguishing a visual element. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
- The visual presentation of text and images of generated text has a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1.
- Text is used to convey information rather than images; however, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
2. Our website is Operable:
- Functionality of the content is operable through a keyboard without requiring specific timing for individual keystrokes. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement. Scripts are keyboard accessible. If the generated content affected by scripting is not accessible, an alternative is provided. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
- No applets, plugins and non-HTML content.
- If keyboard focus can be moved to a component of the page using a keyboard interface, then focus can be moved away from that component using only a keyboard interface. If it requires more than unmodified arrow or tab keys, the user is advised of the method for moving focus away. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
- Our website does not contain anything that flashes more than three times in any one second period, or the flash is below the general flash and red flash thresholds.
- The purpose of each link can be determined from the link text alone or from the link text together with its link context, except where the purpose of the link would be ambiguous to users in general. However, the application neither enforces nor prevents user input that complies with this requirement.
3. Our website is Understandable: